Boot options?

PelleB

Boot options?

Post by PelleB »

Hello,

When I boot FuryBSD on my old Imac, I get a scrambled screen. This is a well known problem, a conflict with the EFI framebuffer and ATI/AMD graphics cards. The workaround (at least on NomadBSD) is to disable syscon using the boot menu. However, the system autoboots at once or there is no boot menu, so I do not get a chance to do this.

What is the solution?

FuryBSD runs excellent on both my Lenovo desktop with a Nvidiacard and my Lenovo laptop with something else (something cheap), but I do not have the space to install it on any of them.

Per B.

tigersharke

Re: Boot options?

Post by tigersharke »

I would get a similar FreeBSD version on a usbstick, boot with this "live" from just the usbstick, then mount the drive(s) to make your modification to the appropriate file. I believe this is accomplished by editing /boot/loader.conf to include hw.syscons.disable=1 (I saw this in a forum post elsewhere) or possibly it would be /etc/sysctl.conf (which seems a little more "right" to me tho I may be wrong).

I'd recommend researching to be sure, if you do not already have the precise method.

I wish you success!

PelleB

Post by PelleB »

Thanks for your reply!

It gave me a few ideas about what to do.

As for now, I hesitate to install it to a hard disk, as the only option seems to be to use all the disk (I got that impression from the online instructions).

Per B.

tigersharke

Post by tigersharke »

Since I now have a newer Graphics card, and can use the newer AMD driver, I set as mentioned for NomadBSD. I too do not get anything but a lot of garbled colored blocks scrolling across my screen. The solution is to install and configure a login manager such as SLiM, pcdm, or similar. The login manager will then grab the graphical screen and permit you to login to your desktop. Attempting to do so from shell would be blind otherwise, but if you know exactly what to type and are exceedingly careful, you could do it blindly too. Then once you have the GUI, go install and configure the login manager. You'll need to edit /etc/rc.conf to add slim_enable=yes or similar.