Before I Try FuryBSD

cogitech

Before I Try FuryBSD

Post by cogitech »

Hello!

This looks like it could be a great distro!

I am specifically looking to build a bit-perfect audio PC for audio playback to my DAC (bypassing mixer, re-sampling, etc.)

Before I even bother trying FuryBSD, I need to know what the audio stack is like.

Does FuryBSD use the default (OSS) audio system that FreeBSD does, or is ALSA and/or Pulse stacked in to make my life a living hell? :)

Kgordon

Re: Before I Try FuryBSD

Post by Kgordon »

Fury gives you a choice of either OSS or some sort of more direct audio access. I cannot remember for certain that that is at this point. I did NOT use OSS for my application, Fldigi.

My recommendation is to try Fury on some non-critical computer and experiment with it.

Although my needs are less "critical" than yours, at this point, I have found FuryBSD to be about the best there is, other than using the full install of FreeBSD.

I am quite impressed with FuryBSD.

Ken Gordon

cogitech

Post by cogitech »

Thanks for the reply, Ken!

So it sounds like I will have plenty of options/ability to configure things the way I specifically need them. That's enough info for me to give it a try!

I am going to test it out soon and I'll report back in case anyone wants to use FuryBSD for the same/similar purpose in the future.

-Paul

cogitech

Post by cogitech »

Well... I just found out that FreeBSD can't run Spotify (unless I want to run it in a VM or something, which is impractical on the PC I am using.

So I am moving along to something else, I guess...

cogitech

Post by cogitech »

Actually... I've decided to use an Android device as a separate audio streamer just for Spotify (for my daughters) so I will be continuing to pursue this plan to use FuryBSD as my main bit-perfect player for my private music collection.

I'll post back with the results.

cogitech

Post by cogitech »

Foought with FuryBSD for 2 hours trying to get bit-perfect audio working. The forum posts I found over at FreeBSD didn't solve any of the issues.

Gave up and installed an old version of Ubuntu (13.04), back when ALSA was still configurable and Clementine had the ability to output directly to an ALSA hardware sink. All those things have disappeared from more recent Ubuntu releases so there is no way around the shitty re-sampling.

I might actually try FuryBSD as a desktop OS on my laptop some time, but it just isn't appropriate for what I need my music station to do.