Default web browser failure

Kgordon

Default web browser failure

Post by Kgordon »

For some reason, I am now getting the error message "Failed to execute default web browser. Input/output error." This appeared after I had attempted to install Mahjong from the /usr/ports/games/mahjong directory. The error message persists even after I deinstalled mahjong.

Can anyone explain this and help me fix it?

Ken Gordon

Kgordon

Re: Default web browser failure

Post by Kgordon »

Hmmmm.....looks like I have a bad HD.

Ken Gordon

LesterScreech

Post by LesterScreech »

Oh, oh. That bites.

Kgordon

Post by Kgordon »

Well, I ran some tests on the HD, and it is just fine.

A little more info: the problem with Firefox refusing to start is caused when a package I install also updates Firefox from the version 70 which comes with FuryBSD to version 72.

For instance, when I run "pkg install hplip", one of the dependencies is, apparently, Firefox, so the upgrade to Ver. 72xxx of Firefox also takes place. Upon completion of that package, THEN FIrefox will no longer start and returns "Failed to execute default web browser. Input/output error." when I attempt to start the web browser from the desktop. I have not yet figured out how to attempt to start it from the command prompt.

I have then attempted to uninstall firefox, and have deleted the executable from /usr/..../bin, then attempted a "make install clean" from the firefox directory in /usr/ports. Still no joy.

I am not certain about what is happening, but I think I'll eventually figure it out.

Thanks,

Ken Gordon

Kgordon

Post by Kgordon »

I did a pkg upgrade and everything is now working correctly, and Firefox is now version 72.+

Ken GOrdon