black screen at install

stroudmw

black screen at install

Post by stroudmw »

I have been trying to install FuryBSD 12.1 KDE without much success. I have tried: set kern.vty=sc by pressing option 3 at the initial install loader, but all that does is give me a very pretty list of scrolling text. Then the screen goes black and starts to "flash/flicker". I can intermittently see the login prompt, but that's about it.

The following is from inxi -b under Debian 10:

Machine:
Type: Laptop System: Sony product: VPCSB27GG v: C609BC4Z serial: <root required>
Mobo: Sony model: VAIO serial: <root required> BIOS: INSYDE v: R1031H4
date: 04/25/2011
Battery:
ID-1: BAT1 charge: 44.7 Wh condition: 44.7/52.2 Wh (86%)
CPU:
Dual Core: Intel Core i5-2520M type: MT MCP speed: 798 MHz min/max: 800/3200 MHz
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics
driver: i915 v: kernel
Device-2: AMD Seymour [Radeon HD 6400M/7400M Series] driver: radeon v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: intel resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile v: 3.3 Mesa 18.3.6

stroudmw

Re: black screen at install

Post by stroudmw »

I couldn't get it to work, so I installed FreeBSD, Xorg, sddm, and kde5.
Much easier that Arch Linux :lol:

stroudmw

Post by stroudmw »

I've decided to have another go at this, and would really like to get it to work.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I just can't get past the black screen at the installer.

aschiebe

Post by aschiebe »

I think the kds iso is the second iso/build in line, first is the build with xfce and the preferred or supported build - is the live iso booting well and the gui gets loaded?
If yes, in the live iso is an icon which will gives details about your hw and is al recognized?
If the xfce live iso is booting well, and network is connected I would give this iso an chance to install and see if all is well after the first reboot from disk. If Xfce is running well, then you would have an running freebsd, create a new BootEnvironment and boot into this, to have the initial install as an backup snapshot and then go fwd to install the kde environ. I'm sure if you search the web you will find scripts or tips which packages have to be installed for KDE.
This would be my approach and my 2 cents to your issue - maybe it helps. For sure its not the direct way, but if you would have an running system, even with xfce, then you can look forward to KDE.